So I don’t follow baseball (I retired from the game on principle when Curt Flood did), but I share a home with a sports-watching dude-hub. So I can’t help but absorb some of it from time to time.
And when I do, I notice things. Probably not the things everybody notices. But there they are, just lying there waiting to be shared.
- I think somebody did something funny with the ball or the bat in the off season because what is with those high scores?? Many many double digit scores. Like 22-11 or something. That’s a respectable football score, that’s not a baseball score.
- Some of the uniforms are just complete puzzlements. Like I swear I saw a team wearing tunics and pedal pushers the other day. If you are under 50, you have no idea what pedal pushers are, I know. I didn’t witness it myself but someone tweeted that a team was wearing onesies in a game. Surely a sore for sight eyes.
- It also seems that players are muddying their uniforms more often than I remember in the past. What’s going on? More sliding into base? Have we achieved kamikaze baseball? Where’s Dick Harter?
- Baseball players are getting really really big. Massive. Like Sequoia tree big. Some look like football players. Now that there are tests for performance enhancing drugs, is there some kind of breeding program underway?
- There are a lot of empty seats in the stands for many games.
- With the little box that shows exactly where the pitch crosses the plate, video review of calls of plays on the field, how much longer till we have robots for umpires? I don’t see umpiring as a career of the future.
- I don’t really approve of rule changes in baseball. Partly because I’m old school and it just doesn’t seem right to change things. I’m looking at you, designated hitter. But partly because I’m old and I can’t remember the changes. Like I was going to comment on one here but, see, I can’t remember what it was. Your loss.
- On the subject of rule changes, stop trying to speed up the game. I like the leisurely pace because it’s possible to relax and enjoy the view. Talk to your seat mates. Be mellow. Calm down. I don’t know why everything has to be so quick quick wiki wiki every minute of the damn day. Allow us at least one option during which can be enjoyed at a Mary Jane mellow rate of speed.
- I love how international baseball has become. It seems like a lot of the best players increasingly come from other countries. Wonder how long it will be before they stop coming to the US to play because the game will be more popular and well attended in their home countries.
- Have the Mariners set a record for blowing leads this season?
I think there were more, but I forgot what they were. Maybe I’ll add them later. Or not. Talk amongst yourselves.